The holidays are upon us, and in the American culture it’s a special time for good food, good company and good times. Even though this time of the year can be cheerful, a lot of others are dealing with stress which can be a trigger for someone who is in recovery.
Alcohol tends to be present at most holiday events which is can trigger relapse. So here are a few ideas how to deal with the holiday season:
- Find new activities to participate in that don’t involve drinking
- Attend meetings to boost your support and celebrate with people in AA or NA
- Try to take it easy!
- Create a plan for dealing with cravings and staying sober
- Spend time people who support your recovery
- Start a list of people who you can call
There are many different strategies that help with staying sober during the holidays, but these are just a few. These strategies can help you enjoy the holiday spirit while eating food, listening to music, and being surrounded by family or friends which all help with having a healthy holiday season!